Tuesday 3 February 2015

A note on my new title

It's been a long time coming, but the sixth Ghostwriter Mystery is about to hit the digital stands and, at last, I can reveal the winning title.
(grapple for the envelope, drum roll please...)

Roxy Parker's next adventure will be called: A Note Before Dying
(pause for thunderous applause)

A big THANK YOU, first and foremost, to fellow author Mary Kelly (of the Romantic Comedy trilogy) who emailed me through two terrific suggestions which helped form the basis of this wonderful title (once you read the book you'll understand just how wonderful it is). 

Mary has now won the coveted prize of naming the villain in my next book and has, in fact, already sent her suggestion through. It's a fabulous name, completely unexpected, and will make a terrific 'baddie'. She tells me the name is derived from an old work nemesis who, for now, shall remain nameless (not only for Mary's sake, but because I don't want to give away the plot to my next novel. Duh!)

Runners up
I'd also like to thank her four fellow contestants who also sent in some weird and wonderful ideas of their own: Michele (I'm stashing yours away for a future novel, hope that's okay), Lou (thanks, girl, you made me laugh), Horatio (six ideas! Man, you're prolific) and 'JP' (what the ...?). 

I loved hearing from you all and I appreciated your taking part. Thank you!

The trick behind titles
Naming book titles is not always as easy as it may seem. As Mary says, "As an author I find the title to be very important. Although sometimes a title is an easy choice from the start, I change my mind a million times for another book." 

In my case, I not only have to find a title that suits the specific plot, it has to have some general connection to murder (it has to sound a little ominous) and writing (it's a Ghostwriter Mystery, after all). Capturing all three elements in just a few words is no mean feat.

This time, as the story is about a musician who gets murdered, I think we've hit the right note.
(pause to groan loudly at the pun)

But you be the judge
A Note Before Dying will be up online by close of business Thursday, Feb 5. That's TOMORROW folks, and is subject to smooth sailing at Amazon and Smashwords. Look out for it and please, let me know your thoughts. 

I love hearing from my readers, and I look forward to taking you on another riveting ride with Roxy.

Happy reading everyone!
xo Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment